No one wants to experience jaw pain, but for most patients, it can’t be helped. Here is where it gets tricky – did you know that TMJ, or Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome, is one of the most misdiagnosed syndromes in the world? Oftentimes, TMJ is overlooked, as jaw related issues can be linked to a multitude of different health issues. So, how do you know when it’s not just a chance occurrence or something that is becoming an issue, we need to concern our dental professional with? Here are some signs and symptoms in which point to TMJ:
- Pain in the jaw, especially around the joint
- Popping or clicking of the jaw
- Ear pain
- Ringing or popping sounds in the ears
- Blurred vision
- Tight or sore jaw or neck muscles
- Shoulder pain
- Locking or dislocation of the jaw
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms above, contact Dr. Lieberman immediately, as he can appropriately diagnose the root of your jaw and facial pain. Thankfully, there are lots of ways to treat this condition and get you back to sleeping peacefully. Below are some of DIY tips you can do on your own to relieve some of the pain you’re experiencing:
- Facial exercises such as stretching, relaxing, or massaging the muscles found around the jaw.
- Avoiding actions such as yawning, singing, or excessive chewing.
- Learning new stress relieving techniques including but not limited to meditation, breathing exercises, or personal stress relievers.
- Formulating an exercise plan in order to increase our pain tolerance.
If you’re interested in learning more about TMJ pain, contact Dr. Lieberman at 727-785-8017 to schedule a consultation today. Or visit www.dentist-lieberman.com for additional information.
Dr. Larry Lieberman proudly accepts patients from Palm Harbor and all surrounding areas.