A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is placed into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge. Dental implants are an ideal option for people in good general oral health who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or some other reason. Dental implants are natural-looking and feeling and under proper conditions, such as placement by a diligent patient maintenance, dental implants can last a lifetime.
What do Dental Implants Do?
- Replace one or more teeth
- Support a bridge and reduce the need for a partial denture.
- Provide support for a denture, making it more secure and comfortable.
Types of Implants
- Endosteal (in the bone): Most commonly used type of dental implant. Screws, cylinders or blades are surgically placed into the jawbone.
- Subperiosteal (on the bone): These are placed on top of the jaw with the metal framework’s
Dental Implants vs Dentures or a Bridge
Esthetically dental implants look and feel just like your own teeth. Since dental implants integrate into the structure of your bone, they prevent the bone loss and gum recession that often happen with bridgework and dentures.
Neighboring teeth are not changed to support the dental implant as with a bridge. More of your own teeth are left untouched, a significant long-term benefit to your oral health.
Dental implants are secure. You don’t have to worry when speaking or eating. No messy pastes and glue. You will go about your daily routine with confidence and comfort.
The success rate of dental implants is highly predictable. They are considered an excellent option for tooth replacement.
To find out if dental implants are right for you, contact Dr. Larry Lieberman and make an appointment 727-785-8017 or visit our website at www.dentist-lieberman.com.
Accepting patients from Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor, Clearwater, Dunedin, Tarpon Springs and all surrounding areas.